Skip Navigation
Skip to contents

JKSCT : Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology

OPEN ACCESS
SEARCH
Search

Articles

Page Path
HOME > J Korean Soc Clin Toxicol > Volume 7(2); 2009 > Article
A case of Systemic Toxicity that Occurred in an Adult Who Intentionally Ingested Rhododendron Sclippenbashii
Sang-Min Jeong, Seung-Han Lee, Jeong-Soo Lim, Sang-Yeol Yoon, Seung Ryu, Jin-Woong Lee, Seung-Whan Kim, In-Sool Yoo, Yeon-Ho You
Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology 2009;7(2):180-182
DOI: https://doi.org/
Published online: December 31, 2009
  • 82 Views
  • 0 Download
  • 0 Crossref
  • 0 Scopus
1Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
2Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
3Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
4Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
5Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
6Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
7Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
8Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University
9Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University

It is well known that Rhododendron sclippenbashii contains the toxic material grayanotoxin. So, Koreans do not eat it, but they do eat azalea although it contains grayanotoxin. That is why there have been no reports about Rhododendron sclippenbashii intoxication after ingesting it intentionally, not accidentally. In this case, the patient was admitted to the emergency room with several toxic symptoms after intentionally consuming 50 blossoms of Rhododendron sclippenbashii to get rid of thirst. Treatment with saline infusion and atropine was successful and the outcome was favorable enough in this case to produce a complete cure without any sequelae at discharge. But toxic symptoms were seen for 24 hours, although the symptoms usually fade in 9 hours. Therefore, we should carefully treat and observe, for over 24 hours, the patient who intentionally ingests about 50 blossoms of Rhododendron sclippenbashii.

Related articles

JKSCT : Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology