Skip Navigation
Skip to contents

JKSCT : Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology

OPEN ACCESS
SEARCH
Search

Articles

Page Path
HOME > J Korean Soc Clin Toxicol > Volume 2(2); 2004 > Article
A Case of Acute Hydrogen Sulfide Intoxication Caused Rapid Loss of Consciousness
Jung-Hwan Ahn, Yoon-Seok Jung
Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology 2004;2(2):147-150
DOI: https://doi.org/
Published online: December 31, 2004
  • 78 Views
  • 0 Download
  • 0 Crossref
  • 0 Scopus
1Department of Emergency Medicine, Ajou University School of Medicine
2Department of Emergency Medicine, Ajou University School of Medicine

Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless, and malodorous 'rotten eggs' gas that results from the decay of organic material. It is a byproduct of industry and agriculture. The mechanism of its toxicity is primarily related to inhibition of oxidative phosphorylation, which causes a decrease in available cellular energy. Because there is no rapid method of detection that is of clinical diagnostic use, management decisions must be made based on history, clinical presentation, and diagnostic tests that imply hydrogen sulfide's presence. Although there is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that the early use of hyperbaric oxygen is beneficial, supportive care remains the mainstay of therapy. We describe an occupational exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas in 51-year-old man. While cleaning the sewage of pigs. he became unconscious. When he arrived in the emergency department, he had irritability and confused mentality. The typical smell of rotten eggs on clothing and exhaled air were enough to be considered to be exposed to hydrogen sulfide. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy was performed. He had a recovery to normal function.

Related articles

JKSCT : Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology